Founded in 1904, Hunan Library was one of the earliest provincial public libraries in China. In 1984, Hunan Library was moved to the site on Shaoshan Road and formally opened to the public. Comrade Hu Yaobang, the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China at that time, inscribed the library's name.
There are more than 220 librarians in Hunan Library now. The library holds a collection of about 3,400,000 volumes (pieces), including Chinese and foreign languages books and journals, rare ancient books, genealogies, personal letters, calligraphies and paintings. Hunan Library is significant for its abundant local documentation, including an extensive literature about Hunan revolution, local documents and works written by Hunan writers. There are more than 10 various kinds of loan desks, reading-rooms and study halls, which lend the readers books and periodicals both in Chinese and foreign languages.
Through industrious endeavors by several generations of librarians and a hundred years accumulation, the library has played an important role in disseminating culture and serving the community, it has also made important contribution to socialist moral, political and material civilization.